Monday, April 24, 2017

Thoughts on Drawing

I began drawing when I was about 9 or 10 years old in the 4th grade. I had a couple friends who I would draw things like spaceships and cars in class with, and I remember vividly a time when I had discovered that I actually found an interest in drawing, and wasn't too bad at it either. I would draw characters from video games and tv shows, athletes, skateboarders, etc. but I never really developed a passion for it at the time. Sports had engulfed my interest completely around this time but I had always appreciated art growing up. As I grew older I strayed away from drawing but never loss my appreciation for art. I gravitated more toward building things like legos and later on home/building replicas. Since I was such an active kid growing up playing many sports it consumed most of my time.

I gravitated back towards drawing slowly through middle school and high high school when I would draw designs and create art to put in/on my binder. I collaborated my interest in sports and art, and created sports related pieces like sports brands, skateboard and snowboard paraphernalia, etc through my middle/high school years. I also would buy paint pens and a new backpack every year and would draw a design or words or anything I felt like I wanted on my backpack that year. Later on, during my junior year of high school, I bought a pair of all white vans and some fabric pens, and drew an indian design on them that I ended up being very proud of. I didn't realize it at the time, but looking back on it now I realize that I had always somehow managed to maintain my art/drawing interest growing up.

Growing up I had always liked tattoos and desire to have some one day (possibly due to my siblings having many), but toward my later high school years and early college years I developed a strong interest in them. I started looking at a lot of different style tattoos and occasionally drew some designs myself. I quickly realized that I loved realism style work and wanted that kind of work done on me. I was fascinated at the detail that these tattoos were able to capture to where I would spend an absurd amount of time looking through these kind of tattoos on the internet, and I still do to this day.

This drawing class and almost revived my drawing roots that I had when I was younger and I'll forever be thankful that I took this class. I have began to draw tattoos ideas for fellow teammates as well as myself, and plan to do so for as long as I can. this class has inspired me so much I have thought about possibly becoming a tattoo artist (even though it's not likely). Although I had a hard time completing drawings on time, since I am a slow worker, it forced me to draw and discover new techniques and qualities that helped me in my pursuit of perfecting realistic art. I plan to continue to draw and design tattoos and other things as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment