Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Thoughts on Drawing -- Melody Jiang

Not exaggerating -- in a way, this class is a dream-come-true for me. In primary school, Japanese anime sparked my interest in drawing. I started by doodling characters I liked, but when I tried to pursue a more formal training, my parents banned me from doing so. Since I was too passionate about drawing, they feared a formal training would derail me from my school work. In many Chinese parents' eyes, art is not something their children should pursue. I started out sketching all the time, but gradually I lost the habit. I am very grateful that this drawing class gives me a chance to reignite the activity I most enjoyed and to avoid pressure from my family.

I like drawing because it provides a way to pull out a picture from my mind and share it with others. However, sometimes I find myself impatient about my speed of drawing on paper. I will find drawing much more enjoyable if it is aided by a computer.

Nevertheless, by drawing using pencil and paper, I learned ways of expression that I would never learn by drawing on a computer. When drawing, I have a tendency to be too detailed. On a computer, it is easy to be detailed. However, when using an actual pencil, I had to find ways to reduce my workload by making certain parts of my drawing more abstract. I find this lesson very important. As Pierre Schneider points out in Louvre Dialogues "One impression already prevails, which the rest of our tour will confirm. Zao Wou-ki’s criterion is spontaneity. He is drawn toward what erupts and pours forth with the unexpectedness and rightness of a spring. The rest is “tiring” despite the talent." Being too detailed might easily fall prey of being "tiring". I don't want to make matter worse by adding "tiring" to my lack of talent.

In addition, I find it interesting that I draw better when I trust my feeling, not measurement. I find it just "feels" right when a line is put into the right place. However, if I measure the object, my drawing usually end up deformed. It is possible that when I feel I am able to pay more attention to how the lines of the object come together as a whole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment