Monday, December 3, 2012

Thoughts on Drawing-Sara Adam


            I wanted to take drawing to improve my overall artistic abilities. Throughout the semester I realized that drawing is not my medium of choice. I like to put value down on the paper and see what happens with it. This worked much better when we were working with smaller areas in our still lives. When we moved to drawing landscapes and outdoor scenes, I had a much harder time staying in control. I really enjoyed drawing still lifes, but I found the outdoor scenes to be overwhelming and stressful. I didn’t know how to translate so much detail into something that I could represent on my paper. I think I erred on the side of making things too impressionistic and even abstracted. My favorite assignment was the subtractive drawing but I felt like it was hard to translate that technique into the outside drawings. I feel like I learned a lot from the semester though and that I did grow in my skills even if it was somewhat begrudgingly.
            I found that it was much easier to keep working on something after I had let it sit for a while. When I was touching up some of the drawings for my portfolio, it was much easier after having spent a long time not even looking at the drawing. Critiques always made me extremely nervous.  I was always worried that I wouldn’t measure up. Overall I think this class was really good for me. It was challenging and even though I may not do much more drawing, I think that it will be helpful to me in other art forms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment