Thursday, December 6, 2012

Thoughts on Drawing - Eileen Lu


Art has always been a significant part of my life. I’ve been drawing ever since I could remember and it remains a key part of my identity. I used to doodle all the time during class and instead of notes, I’d have a few words jotted down with the rest of the sheet covered in drawings. These preliminary doodles would later become the primary source of inspiration for my studio paintings.
            One thing I noticed is that it definitely is true that the more you enjoy doing something, the better you will be at it. I love drawing and the more I drew, the better I got at it. This then further increased my motivation to draw even more. My drawings were something that I could be proud of and it helped me develop a sense of self-confidence as I was growing up.
            I love art because it provides an outlet for me to express my feelings and thoughts when words fail me. There are no discriminations or limitations on art because it can be universally appreciated and understood. It does not differentiate between race or social hierarchy and can produce a deep connection with people without the inhibitions of language. When I draw, I enter another world where the only restrictions are limited to my imagination. I am free to create anything and it is this creative expression that is so incredibly satisfying to me.
            Art has also taught me to perceive the world differently. People look, but not everyone actually sees. Beautiful moments occur daily, but many fail to recognize it. A simple image of a tree may not be immediately striking, but if you are forced to draw it, you will notice the intertwining crevices and rich textures of the wood. It is then juxtaposed with the vibrancy of the smooth waxy leaves and interrupted with pops of color from the vibrant blossoms. This tree is thus transformed from a mundane object to a magical work of art, entirely within the mind. Drawing is not merely skill and control of the hands; it requires re-shifting of the mind as well. I can see this directly in my life because I am constantly open to inspiration from daily objects and events. As I move onward towards my life, the future remains indefinable, but one thing I am certain of is that art will continue to remain an essential aspect of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment