Thursday, December 8, 2016

What I think Drawing is all about

I started drawing as a really young kid, probably about 5 or 6. My parents have this huge collection of stuff I used to draw when I was little. It's funny, there would be periods of time where I would just draw the exact same thing over and over again. Spiderman is a good example. I became obsessed with Spiderman after I saw the movie, and there is a huge box filled with just drawings of spiderman. I guess I just liked to express what was going on in my imagination. As I got older, my drawings started to mature as I did. Things turned from 2D to 3D. I learned to draw things as they truly were, and represent them as accurately as I could. I'm really obsessive when it comes to a drawing I'm working on. If one little detail is off it drives me crazy. As I got older and better at drawing, I started to be able to get the drawing really really close to the original from whatever I was drawing from. I did this for a while, where I would just recreate pictures with pencil and paper. And I don't know why but one day the thought popped into my head, what's the point? If you're already looking at a photograph of something, why spend so much time and effort to recreating, best case scenario, that same photograph? That was my goal in most of my drawings, and I realized it was stupid. If you look at all the great artists in the history, whether it's Vincent Van Gogh, or Frida Kahlo, or even the sketch artist M.C. Escher, they all are very unique. Every great artist brings their own unique aspect to their art, whether it is a painting style or technique, or the mind bending content like Escher puts into his drawings. That's why I really love M.C. Escher's work. He creates narratives that although are very realistic in nature, are impossible to occur in the real world. His mind is unbelievable and he's able to express that to the world through art. And that's what I think drawing, and all forms of art for that matter, is really about. It's about representing YOU in whatever you are doing. Letting YOUR imagination run wild and see what it can produce. Easier said than done, though, thats for sure. It's something that I am still struggling to find myself. But once you are comfortable and familiar enough with yourself to do that, then you've got something special. That's all I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment