Sunday, November 29, 2015

Final Reflection

I learned so much from this drawing class. I not only learned how to capture and depict the distinctive qualities and portions of various objects, people, architecture, and landscape, but I also got to learn more about me: my strengths and weaknesses as well as my drawing style. I’ve always loved art ever since I was a little kid. In high school, I graduated with the honor of taking the most number of art classes in my class. From Rococo to contemporary art to almost all types of artistic styles and genres in between, art always found its way to my heart and to be frank, really made a mark in my so called life.

Although I’ve taken various drawing classes in the past, this drawing class really taught me how to pay attention to the perspective. The first couple of class periods, the greatest lesson I learned was the importance of paying attention to what I see instead of what I think I should see. I feel like my drawing improved so much once I almost “scientifically” observed the study objects and planned out the approximate placements of these objects in portion to my paper. I also really liked how we practiced doing the study drawings before working on final drawings. Although I at first thought doing two drawings for one final piece was slightly pointless and was a waste of time, it was actually ended up saving my time, as I knew exactly what to change, add, or take out for my final drawing.

I would like to think there’s a certain style to the way I draw. The way I use different kinds of lines, how I maneuver different shades using graphite and charcoal, and compose my objects on a paper all reflect and point towards my personal, stylistic qualities. Taking this class really allowed me to confirm this stylistic aspect of my work and also derive certain strengths and limitations from this self-discovery. I think it really allows my drawing to stand out and be distinctive from others, despite me being not at all technically advanced. But at the same time, it sometimes works as my disadvantage in that all my drawings give off a similar vibe no matter what the composition of my drawing may be. In the future, I think really studying different styles of drawing and practicing these different styles to personalize them as my own will help me break my stylistic mold. This class allowed my arsenal of techniques to expand and grow, and I’m hoping that in the near future my arsenal of styles will diversify as well.

I also appreciated all the comments I received from my classmates and Professor Fick. It was really interesting to hear and learn about different perspectives shared by my fellow classmates about my work and each other’s work. I also loved looking what my classmates drew each assignment and listening to their stories of how they went about in producing their work. Last but not least, I also would like to share some of my other works I’ve done in the past. 



No comments:

Post a Comment