Monday, December 1, 2014

My Thoughts on Drawing

          Coming into Duke as a pre-med, with no background in art since painting in the fourth grade, I did not expect that I'd get to learn how to draw; I could not be more pleased with the result! The progression of the course really helped the process of learning. Having the time constraints inherent in taking multiple classes at once, it helped to take the learning process step-by-step as we did, first concentrating on the basics like general forms and line weight, then slowly moving on to shading and perspective. The process allowed for a stable learning curve, and an enjoyable experience along the way. 
          The most enjoyable part about the drawing experience was probably the way it changed the way I look at the world around me. When sitting down to draw the same scene for however many hours that it takes, you take in so much more information about the subject than you ever would in passing. I noticed this with things like the chapel, and the lamp posts around campus: when I had them in my drawing, I had to notice every detail, so I could put it down on paper, and after it was all over, I had become so familiar with them that I was able to recognize every minute detail in a whole new light. From that, I now try to apply that to as much as possible, and it is a very fun way to appreciate the world around us. 
          Beyond that, I really loved seeing the end result of a long day's work. Rarely do I ever sit down for a long time and make a drawing with much detail or effort. Being told to do so was a necessary push to actually put in the work, and only then could I see what I was capable of. It ended up being more than I thought! That made for a fun experience. 
          Finally, I really liked the sketchbook assignment. While I did find myself forgetting to do it on occasion, having the freedom to draw whatever we want, but still having the necessary push to get the work done, let me get practice on some of the things I always wanted to be able to draw better. As a pre-med, I came into the class hoping I could learn to draw the human form and anatomy a little better, since I had no experience with it. Even though it was not part of the written curriculum, I was able to get a lot of experience in that realm through the practice that the sketchbook allowed. It was a lot of fun, and I definitely felt myself getting more proficient! 
          It was a great class, and I recommend it to everyone I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment