Monday, December 1, 2014

My thoughts on drawing

I came into Duke as a pre-med student; however, my navigation down the winding path known as Duke undergrad has somehow lead me here. During my junior year, I decided to no longer be a pre-med student, which was a devastating blow. If I wasn't pre-med, then what am I? I ended up deciding to change my theater minor to a major and see where this would lead me. It lead me into the theatrical design, which I absolutely love. However, I had trouble communicating my ideas to my professor and the other student. It was then that I decided I must take a drawing class because drawing is a form of communication that I had to master if I wanted to go into theatrical design. I have now reached the end of the drawing course and I have to say, I think I have improved since the beginning of the semester. Much like a foreign language, drawing takes practice and serious concentration. It requires 100% dedication if you want to master it. I may not be 'fluent' in my drawing (I know there is still a lot of room for improvement), but I am steadily on my way--one pencil stroke or charcoal smudge at a time.

I have to say I enjoyed drawing. It allowed me to see beyond what my brain wanted me to see (if that makes sense). I became a better observer and began to portray the world the way I see it. I literally enjoyed everything about this class. The only things that I disliked about this class was having charcoal smudges on my hands, arms, and sometimes my face. I also disliked the fact that I couldn't give it my complete undivided attention due to other coursework. I never felt like I had enough time to finish everything I wanted to finish in my drawings. My favorite drawings to do were probably the last three assignments. I liked tackling landscapes, which I was able to practice in all three assignments. I also liked the fact that I was able to practice drawing people within my last two projects. I am going to continue to develop these skills and become an even better artist/drawer.

GO ARTSTIGATORS!

No comments:

Post a Comment