Friday, November 30, 2012

Vicky's Thoughts on Drawing

When I was 3 years old I told me mother I wanted to be an artist. I really enjoyed my coloring books, jewelry making kits, and water color paints. Then, my mother told me that artists didn't make any money and I promptly decided to become a veterinarian instead. I still enjoyed my various art projects: pottery, knitting, scrapbooking, etc., but as I got older there was less and less time for art. When my friend asked me to take Drawing 101 with her, I was hesitant at first. I could doodle but I didn't think I could actually draw anything worth showing to a class. However, I decided to take the class anyways because it would be a nice change of scenery from all those science classes.
At first, it seemed like everyone in the class was already a master artist. I still found that it was super stress relieving to spend some time drawing in my sketchbook every week. Slowly, I gained more confidence in my drawing ability. I still may not be the best artist in the world, but I think I have significantly improved. I still can't draw trees that look like real trees, but I'm working on it.
The only stressful part about drawing class was how long it took to me to complete the last few projects. I think I spent more time on those than all of my other classes combined. It is probably just because I draw slowly and erase a lot. I wish I would have had more time for the big projects, or have been less focused on the little details so that it didn't take me 30 hours to finish one final drawing.
I enjoyed taking drawing this semester, and I think that I may occasionally keep sketching in my sketchbook from time to time. If I become a veterinarian at least I'll be able to draw their dogs for them and show them where they need to put medication. Other than that I think I'll stick to admiring art in museums and books.

No comments:

Post a Comment