Wednesday, December 2, 2015

From the end spring new beginnings

To me, drawing is an escape. It's a place where anyone can make the impossible possible. As an engineer, I spend a good amount of time making the ideas in my mind into physical objects, but limits on time, energy and technology only allow me to do so much. As my final drawing demonstrates, I ultimately choose to draw the things I hope will one day become reality, possibly with my help.

All that being said, over the course of my life I rarely drew anything. When my mind started to wonder I would build with Legos, or later in life, design in Computer Aided Design software. The traditional start, a sketch or drawing, was always something I considered doing, but was usually an additional step I wanted to jump past. I'm not always a very patient person.

I took this course because I knew I had neglected an important skill and outlet I could utilize, and knew that without the kick in the butt that would come with being graded for my work, I would never spend the time to hone my craft. At this point I am glad to say that I surpassed my own expectations and became far more able than I imagined.

When I started the course, I had little to no experience drawing. Every line was a struggle and required calculation on my part. Every moment spend drawing was a chore, and one that I was not very good at. But, as time went on and I pushed myself to try things I didn't think I could do (plenty of study drawings exist in a recycling center somewhere), I found a rhythm and strategy in my work.

To be quite frank, I never imagined I would be able to make the drawings I did towards the end of the semester. In the words of the wise philosopher, Aubrey Drake Graham, Things went from "0 to 100, real quick". The class was exactly what I needed, freedom with guidance and motivation. I've learned a lot and have become not only comfortable with drawing, but excited about it. Who knows that spaceships will be drawn into the sky next.

No comments:

Post a Comment