Monday, December 3, 2018

Drawing at Duke - Alexi Kontos


Drawing at Duke is something that I think more students could benefit from as a whole. I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to fit a couple of drawing classes into my schedule despite not being a Visual Arts major and the outlet for creativity has been amazing. Often times at Duke its hard to find the time to sit down and relax, or to indulge in activities like reading a book, drawing, painting, or something that you may have enjoyed before you came to Duke. Being able to have a class that allows you to explore those creative aspects of your life is incredible. Theres nothing more relaxing then having a class and homework that is just to sit down, and draw. I truly believe that the drawing classes I’ve taken at Duke have helped me mentally through my tough classes by providing that outlet.
Another amazing thing about drawing at Duke, and even more broadly the visual arts department at Duke is the wealth of both opportunities and resources available to students. Now as a senior I have seen so many incredible guest artists, exhibits at the Nasher, and been able to take advantage of so much software, art supplies, and art classes that I never would have been able to had I been drawing another place. Being able to be exposed to such a large range of visual arts I feel has really helped me feel more comfortable defining my own style of drawing and art and motivated me to start taking the time to do more art even outside of class.

No comments:

Post a Comment