Monday, April 23, 2018

Thoughts on Drawing - Hannah Homma Tong

On the Pursuit of Perfection


Throughout my childhood and adolescence, my artwork was only ever exhibited by the paints and inks that covered my hands. Although art was something that I greatly enjoyed, I was painfully aware that I had neither the skill nor the time to perfect my craft to the point at which I would be happy to share my work. 

Growing up in extremely competitive environments has always reinforced in me the ridiculous notion that I should only dedicate my time to things that I excelled at, and as a result I spent less and less time creating art. The irony was that in order to excel, I needed to dedicate time and energy cultivating skill and style. One of my main takeaways from this class was learning to do and enjoy things I wasn't particularly good at and I am so happy to have had the opportunity to develop with my artwork. 

I am excited to take more art classes at Duke and I am looking forward to being better at being bad at things. 



No comments:

Post a Comment