Tuesday, November 28, 2017

A Relaxing Chore

I have a very clear love-hate relationship with drawing. On one hand, drawing relaxes me and does not feel like work. I can draw for hours at a time while sitting in front of the tv or listening to a good podcast or some music. I have done this already for this class many times, mainly on Saturdays or Sundays when I am playing catch up on that week's assignment. On the other hand, drawing can be very stressful when burdened by deadlines and grades, something inevitable in college. When pressured to produce quality drawings week after week, drawing becomes stressful and unenjoyable in a sense. However, it would be unfair to blame this on being enrolled in a drawing class, because the truth is I probably would not be drawing as much if it was not for the class. College just is not an ideal time for me to draw. With so many things available here at Duke and so much work and activities to keep up with, taking the time to draw seems to be too costly.

After placing drawing in such a bad light, I should clarify: drawing is still enjoyable, just not always practical. The engineer in me wants to be the most productive and efficient person possible, and that inevitably involves prioritizing tasks and leisure time. Unfortunately, in a college setting, that optimization pushes drawing out of the picture.

At the end of the day, however, I will continue to draw. I used to draw when I was younger and freer from responsibilities and I know I will keep drawing when I am older, but for now, in this very fast paced and stressful part of my life, I must take a short break.

No comments:

Post a Comment