Monday, April 22, 2019

Making art at Duke

I find that this class has significantly helped me to feel more comfortable making art at Duke.  I really enjoyed Drawing in high school.  The people in the classes I took formed a very tight community and we really enjoyed making art together and watching each other grow as artists.  Before I took this class, I did not think I would pursue art at Duke.  When I was younger, I thought I would be an artist as an adult, but as I grew older my priorities changed.  Now, making art, and especially drawing, is more of a form of relaxation.
I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child, and I've found that making art, and focusing on the minute details of a piece really helps me focus in other areas of my life.  In my first semester at Duke, I did not draw as much.  After taking this course and drawing more in general, I realized how much drawing still helps me focus and the impact it has on my life and ability to concentrate.  Thus, while I may not pursue an art degree or career, it still is an important part of my Duke experience and my everyday life.
Sine I am an athlete, I have not yet found a community of artists that I truly bonded with.  However, taking this course and after feeling inspired by my classmate's art, I hope that I will find and seek out a community of art enthusiasts in the future

No comments:

Post a Comment