Friday, November 22, 2013

Thoughts on Drawing

Drawing has been a huge part of my life since I could pick up a pencil. I spent the majority of my time as a child doodling and sketching, and I often got ridicule from teachers who caught me drawing instead of taking notes in class. I am fascinated by the way one small pencil point can create such beautiful works of art with so much detail and variation. I am especially pulled to photo-realism, and I can stare at photo-realistic drawings for hours just in awe of the incredible detail and preciseness the artist used. I also love to see everyone's unique style of drawing, because no two people draw the same way. By the end of this class, I had identified everyone's style and I could tell whose drawing belonged to whom by simply looking at it. I haven't deviated too far from graphite in my drawings, but I do hope to master colored pencil or even pastels to enhance my drawings in the future.
In high school, as I got older and better at drawing, it became my comfort zone, as well as my stress relief and favorite thing to do. It became the one thing I felt truly set me apart, due to my confidence in my work. Drawing has brought me so many unique opportunities, such as traveling to Italy to work with artists there, being featured on the front page of the Charlotte Observer, and winning a Scholastic Gold Key for a portfolio of works that consumed the majority of my time throughout my 4 years of high school. It's safe to say drawing has helped to define who I am, and I can't wait to further enhance my skills here at Duke to lead me to even more adventures in drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment