Monday, November 16, 2009

Drawing from pictures

I just stumbled across this in my History of Photography class and though it was interesting. I really enjoy drawing from photos rather than observation. I think it helps me flatten out the image and think about it's shapes more than allowing my mind to run away with the possible shapes that are thought to be there yet aren't. I at first thought my preference for drawing from photographs was odd and then I found Kenyon Cox. He drew mainly from documentary work during the turn of the century. Here are two examples. Enjoy!


(Jacob Riis, Italian Mother and her Baby, 1888, gelatin silver print/Kenyon Cox, drawing reproduced in Jacob Riis, How The Other Half Lives, New York, 1890)














(Riis, “5 Cents a Spot,” Lodgers in a Crowded Bayard St. Tenement, 1890/Kenyon Cox, drawing reproduced in Jacob Riis, How The Other Half Lives, New York, 1890)

No comments:

Post a Comment