Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Minshu's thoughts on drawing


This class kicked my butt, and I think the most challenging thing was finding the motivation to draw things in great detail for final drawings. My main reason for taking this class was to have a semester of drawing under my belt in (potential) preparation for graduate school in landscape architecture/landscape design. Because drawing in this field is so project-oriented, I think in my own mind I get lazy about drawing that doesn’t serve a clear project or purpose. Drawings for landscape architecture also tend to be quick and more of sketches, with much of the design work then being done on a computer. So I also have this conception of drawing being the initial step in a design process, and I am always trying to rush to another stage further along in the process.
This is not to say that I don’t appreciate drawing as an artistic process and medium; I love watching other people draw and seeing drawn art, but I just don’t seem to have the patience to draw my own work. As far as personal art goes, I am also a photographer, so I think I’ve gotten used to the instant gratification that comes with taking and editing a photo. I do love that drawing, like photography and other artistic processes, are really calming for me, and require an effortless focus once I get into a certain rhythm. I just wish I had more time for drawing and because I usually don’t, I tend to start feeling impatient.

- Minshu

No comments:

Post a Comment