Thursday, December 5, 2013

Thoughts on Drawing

The main way I was introduced through art is through my girlfriend of 5 years. She is a fine arts major and I have always been surrounded by art, although I have never had much technical skill at it and I thought this class would be a great way to build a solid foundation. I feel that I did gain a good technical level of skill from this class and I really liked the focus on drawing from observation. I particularly thought using negative space to help guide drawing was especially useful to me. 

My main creative outlet before drawing was producing music and film. One small thing that I noticed that made drawing enjoyable was that I could listen to music while drawing which is kind of ironic. While editing film or producing music, it would be impossible to listen to music because you have to be listening to what you are working on, so I really enjoyed that aspect of being able to relax and listen to music while working.

However, I found that working under deadlines was very stressful and I usually work on creative endeavors outside of academics so it was difficult for me to get used to that. Also while I liked the way the class was structured, I felt like it was a bit limiting creatively which made it a bit harder to be motivated to draw. I also felt a lot of anxiety, which happens a lot when working creatively, especially under deadlines. I felt fear of failure. Having little confidence in my drawing ability, I would get anxious about starting a drawing knowing that it probably wouldn't come out the way I wanted it to. So often I would avoid starting it leading to procrastination.  I think having more confidence in my drawing and also more patience will help me not get so frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment